09 February 2010

roasted tomato soup



I'll be honest, I may or may not have made this in order to justify eating a grilled cheese.

And also because it looks scrumptious. Did I just use that word? I think I did.

This roasted tomato soup recipe comes from Heidi at 101Cookbooks. It couldn't be simpler, really, and may keep me from ever eating the canned stuff again. It was even easy enough for me to make before a 10 am conference call, which - if you know me at all - is pretty badass. Apologies for the cursing. I get really excited when I can multitask and not burn the house down.

Annnnyways, on to the goods.

Roasted Tomato Soup
From 101Cookbooks

5 tomatoes, quartered
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
3 medium yellow onions, peeled, quartered (I used 2 yellow, 1 spanish)
extra-virgin olive oil
5 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
sea salt
2 - 3 cups light vegetable stock or water (I used water, with half a mushroom bouillon)
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, my new secret ingredient, compliments of A.R.

Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly oil 2 baking sheets, cut the tomatoes, onions and pepper, and put skin side down -- garlic and onions on one side, tomatoes and pepper on the other.

What can I say, I like things to be color coordinated sometimes.

Shower with a bit of sea salt, and pop in the oven.

Roast for 45 minutes or so until the goods are all roasted, checking partially through to make sure the onions aren't burning and are getting carmelized to your liking.

Once done, transfer all of that deliciousness to a pot / deep bowl, add the smoked paprika and put the immersion blender to good use, adding the liquid until it's your desired consistency. I made my soup a bit smoother, but puree to your hearts content. And voila, healthy, delicious, grilled cheese dip-worthy soup. All in less than an hour.

No comments: